Waste Connections, Inc Assistant Controller in Eugene, Oregon
Requisition Primary Location
Who Are We?
WASTE CONNECTIONS, Inc. (NYSE: WCN) is not only the best waste services company in North America, it is also an amazing place to realize your potential, make decisions, have your voice heard, and partner with extremely hard working and passionate people! We seek servant leaders, mentors, top performers, and fun people. At Waste Connections, we value each individual’s unique background, experience, and passion to make us a great place to work.
Waste Connections Controllers bring their number crunching expertise along with their strong communication skills to help guide our company to profitability. Controllers don’t just keep score, they are active in our operations, know our business, and provide a solid financial foundation for our company to succeed now and in the future. If this sounds like you, we want you to keep reading the description below.
Why you need to join us!
• CULTURE: It’s a Great place to work! We work in an environment where empowered, self-directed all-stars know what they do is important.
• INTEGRITY: Our definition is “saying what you will do and then doing it!” We keep our promises to our customers and our employees.
• RESPECT: We show respect for our customers and fellow employees. Respect for ourselves grows through all the hard work and great service we provide to the communities we are privileged to serve.
Our company is a nationwide, publicly traded industry powerhouse and we are looking for best in class accountants to leave the world of audit and public accounting behind for an opportunity with incredible growth and leadership opportunities. We provide work life balance and continuous skill training to always prepare you for advancement to the next level.
Our Assistant Controllers instantaneously make an impact on the bottom line by understanding our business end to end and being agents of change and process improvement. Your role will continuously develop as a business partner and analyst, working hand in hand with Operations both in the office and in the field to achieve success.
This is an opportunity for accounting professionals who are entrepreneurial minded, appreciate an autonomous and unstructured work environment, and want to take an interactive role in providing leadership and guidance in a progressive and growing industry.
As an Assistant Controller, you will report to the District Controller overseeing the financial functions of several of our operating locations. This position works in tandem with District Operational Managers and requires excellent interpersonal and communication skills. It also requires direct interface with local and state regulatory agencies and personnel.
• Performing monthly financial close functions through preparation of financial statements for each designated operating location.
• Reconciliation of all general ledger accounts.
• Monthly narrative analysis of significant financial variances to budget and forecast.
• Monthly completion of a three-month financial forecast.
• Rate analysis and review.
• Effective ongoing communication of financial related information to business counterparts.
• Managing flow of accounting data to/from remote facilities.
• Assisting with quarterly Sarbanes Oxley compliance and review.
• Planning and participating in the annual financial budget process.
• Providing training to non-financial personnel on internal control compliance, accounting procedures and financial statement review.
• Some travel and awesome potential for relocation opportunities.
Your technical background should include:
BS/BA degree in Accounting
1-3 years of accounting experience, required
2 years of public accounting experience strongly preferred
budgeting process experience
proven excellent communication and interpersonal skills
We offer excellent benefits including: medical, dental, vision, flexible spending account, long term disability, life insurance, and 401K retirement.
We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer (Minority/Female/Disabled/Veterans)
Bachelors: Accounting (Required)
Who We Are
Waste Connections is an integrated solid waste services company that provides solid waste collection, transfer, disposal and recycling services in mostly exclusive and secondary markets. Our goal is to create an environment where self-directed, empowered employees strive to consistently fulfill our constituent commitments and seek to create positive impacts through interactions with customers, communities, and fellow employees.
OUR PEOPLE MEAN EVERYTHING TO US
Waste Connections is always working to protect the health of the communities we serve, and we are grateful for the hard work and dedication that you bring to your job every day. Working here means you are a safety-minded individual who is making important contributions on a daily basis that will make a positive impact on those around you. We appreciate that you are a person of integrity who takes pride in the work you do.
BUILD TALENT FROM WITHIN
People who want to gain valuable professional experience will find that Waste Connections is a fantastic place to work. You’ll enjoy the opportunity for beneficial training and professional development opportunities that can help enhance your skills and lead the way to a more promising future.
LET’S REALIZE YOUR GOALS TOGETHER
Bring your passion to succeed and you’ll quickly discover that great opportunities are all around you. At Waste Connections, you’ll thrive if you are friendly, dedicated, and prefer a work hard/play hard culture that is focused on maintaining our reputation as the premier waste services company in the markets we serve.